Radon is an odorless, colorless gas that naturally occurs in the soil.  This gas is extremely dangerous when humans breathe it in at high levels.  Since radon is so hard to detect, many people can live for years in a home with high radon levels and not even know it.   Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking cigarettes.  If you have an older home, or a home with a basement, it is extremely important that you get a radon test so you can be aware of the current levels in your home.  In most cases, radon seeps up through cracks in the flooring of a home’s foundation but those with well water should also be aware of its presence in the drinking water as well.  A simple radon test can help you to determine how much radon is in your home’s environment, and can help you decide what steps to take next.

A radon test is generally inexpensive and fairly easy to conduct.  You can purchase an in home testing kit from many retailers and also via mail order.  The test usually only takes a few minutes, and should not cost a whole lot.  It’s worth it for the peace of mind you’ll receive knowing that radon levels you have in your home.  If you feel a little weary of conducting your own radon test, you can always hire a trained professional to do the job for you.  The EPA has listings of qualified contractors, as well as your local state office.  A short term radon test should be able to tell you the general level of radon present.  If you feel uncomfortable with the results, then a long term test lasting over 90 days should be conducted, just so you can be absolutely certain what the radon levels are in your home. 

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *