Cleanup or Throw Away
Mold cleanup can be accomplished if the mold is thriving on a hard non-porous material such as ceramic tile. If however, you find mold on carpet or ceiling tiles you may have to dispose of and replace the item. Wood items can survive a mold cleanup if the problem is caught early on. Mold damages and rots wood so the longer the exposure the more extensive the damage. Valuable or sentimental pieces that are exposed to mold growth for a long period of time should be taken to a restoration expert for any chance of salvage.
Hard non-porous surfaces should be scrubbed with detergent and water, and then dried completely. Chemicals are not generally recommended for mold cleanup or prevention because a minute level of mold spores will remain anyway, just waiting for the right conditions to grow again. Correcting a moisture problem, such as a dripping pipe, by repairing it immediately and regular scrubbing should be enough to control household mold. There may be instances when a professional will recommend a chemical solution to cleanup large infected areas of mold.
Some mold may be partially or completely hidden from view. You may only smell a sour odor or see a slight water stain outline to tell you something is not right. The mold maybe growing inside the wall, just under the wallpaper on the sheetrock or both. In cases such as this a professional is required. Mold cleanup of this type can be extensive and can be dangerous to people with allergies. The spores can be blown into the air if the mold cleanup is not done properly.
Some mold maybe found growing in windowsills under a leaking window. The leaking maybe slow and go unnoticed for some time, causing the wood to rot and the paint to chip. Fix these types of problems as soon as they are noticed to stop mold from growing in these places.