Basement mold is a common occurrence and statistics show that over fifty percent of all homes have excess water, providing the perfect environment for basement mold.  Mold is a fungus that thrives off of certain conditions.  These conditions include excessive moisture, humidity, and decomposing organisms.  Mold will spread through the release of airborne spores and is a specific cause of sickness and allergies.  Since basements are prone to being damp and dark, they are the perfect environments for mold growth.

You can often identify basement mold by seeing it with the visible eye.  You may notice spots of black mold growing on your basement wall.  You may also notice that you have basement mold when you detect a musty odor.  The best way to treat basement mold is through prevention.  The number one way to prevent mold from growing is by removing excess moisture.  Basically, you should invest in ways to keep your basement dry.

One of the best things that you can do to reduce the amount of moisture in your basement is to invest in a dehumidifier.  A dehumidifier will ensure that your basement does not have excessive amounts of moisture in the air as well as on the walls.    By drying out the basement, you can eliminate the growth of mold from the source.  Some other steps that you can take are to have your basement walls waterproofed with a professional sealant.  This will help repel water and keep the basement dry as well.  If you use a washer and dryer in your basement, make sure that the dryer vent is connected properly and that all of the air from your dryer is leaving through the vent.  When you see mold in your basement, remove it with a solution of bleach and water.  Make sure that you open the window and air out the basement as well.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *